AMSA Follies: The (In)Famous Patch Adams
The keynote speaker at AMSA 2011 was Patch Adams accompanied by a sidekick/collaborator of some sort, Susan Parenti. Only knowing of Patch Adams from the Robin Williams cinematic depiction so many years ago, I didn’t quite know what to expect. In lieu of extended [commentary], I present to you here the highlights:
- The 3% of the country who own 97% of the assets think that health insurance is a market in which to make money. The horrors! [capitalism is morally repugnant? not the most nuanced argument]
- The Gesundheit Institute [Patch Adams' facility] has never carried malpractice insurance and has never been sued. [Am I alone in thinking that there might be a causal relationship].
- The Gesundheit Institute is open to all sorts of “medicine:” homeopathy, naturopathy, ayurveda, reiki, and a few others I’ve never heard of.
- “Depression is not a mental illness. It is a pharmaceutical company diagnosis. Depression is simply a symptom of loneliness.”
- One of the scariest phrases in the world: “AMSA could lead the way on…”
Inspiration is easily muted by unrelated fringe beliefs. Would that the audience have been more critical.
Contact the author
- Ah, #quebec, la belle province, where even snow removal is a criminal racket. bit.ly/JtTzOT 1 year ago
- @petersuderman Better to wean the moon from its dependence on dirty unreliable foreign planetary oil by 2100. Drill the Sea of Tranquility! 2 years ago
- @medrants Great post! If the US is really trying to "steal" doctors, it's failing miserably. bit.ly/yUxgtd bit.ly/zgOkuL 2 years ago
- RT @IJ: We just sued the #IRS. Watch our video to find out why: youtube.com/watch?v=0-1IEq… PLS RT!! 2 years ago
- Come on, Wordpress, "select all" does NOT mean "select every other paragraph." #fail 2 years ago
- More fun facts on how US healthcare compares to other countries, via @DisMgtCareBlog bit.ly/zMDcVH 2 years ago
- US infant and perinatal mortality not as bad as alleged by many on left, others. Via @ATuteur @BMJ_latest bit.ly/wt3iyg 2 years ago
- From @KevinMD, a bleak look at the future of #primarycare bit.ly/wOh0MW 2 years ago
- @aviksaroy Great idea to integrate VA into rest of the system. I also didn't know you went to medical school until reading this article! 2 years ago
- Campaign-finance restrictions as a cause of political polarization? econ.st/znc1xU 2 years ago