It’s an AMSA Rodeo, and you’re invited!
Upon arriving to Houston for the 2012 AMSA convention and learning that there is, in fact, a straight-up rodeo in town, my first thoughts turned to the concept of rodeo clowns, and then to clowns more generally.
Harsh? Perhaps. This is, however, the organization of medical students that:
- Denounce drug companies and urge physicians and medical schools to cut ties with them, while allowing drug and device companies to buy exhibitors’ booths to reach our innocent medical student eyeballs;
- Advocates for changes in policy on issues from healthcare reform to resident work-hours based mainly on emotive appeals, and whose policy “leaders” don’t seem to have the best sense of the subject matter they’re lobbying about, and;
- Unabashedly supports quacks and quackery… practices that are harmful to patients, and not in keeping with the professional and scientific heritage of the medical profession that their members will soon join.
Sounds a bit clownish to me. That’s what makes it fun to watch. So for the second year in a row, your intrepid blogger will brave the ghastly Houston weather (and jet lag!) and suffer the slings and arrows of those conference attendees who can’t bear disagreement.
Follow my postings to this blog and to Twitter (under the #amsaconv12 hashtag) to get a bug’s-eye view of the goings-on at the 2012 annual convention of the country’s largest association of medical students.
Contact the author
- Ah, #quebec, la belle province, where even snow removal is a criminal racket. bit.ly/JtTzOT 3 years ago
- @petersuderman Better to wean the moon from its dependence on dirty unreliable foreign planetary oil by 2100. Drill the Sea of Tranquility! 3 years ago
- @medrants Great post! If the US is really trying to "steal" doctors, it's failing miserably. bit.ly/yUxgtd bit.ly/zgOkuL 3 years ago
- RT @IJ: We just sued the #IRS. Watch our video to find out why: youtube.com/watch?v=0-1IEq… PLS RT!! 3 years ago
- Come on, Wordpress, "select all" does NOT mean "select every other paragraph." #fail 3 years ago
- More fun facts on how US healthcare compares to other countries, via @DisMgtCareBlog bit.ly/zMDcVH 3 years ago
- US infant and perinatal mortality not as bad as alleged by many on left, others. Via @ATuteur @BMJ_latest bit.ly/wt3iyg 3 years ago
- From @KevinMD, a bleak look at the future of #primarycare bit.ly/wOh0MW 3 years ago
- @aviksaroy Great idea to integrate VA into rest of the system. I also didn't know you went to medical school until reading this article! 3 years ago
- Campaign-finance restrictions as a cause of political polarization? econ.st/znc1xU 3 years ago